Translate

Monday 7 January 2013

The Language of Flowers...

I was talking to a lady during my woodland volunteering afternoon yesterday about a book called The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.




I read the book last year and did some research about the meanings of flowers. It was interesting to find out the meanings behind my favourite flowers.

It's a shame that the meaning behind flowers is often overlooked these days. It seems it is a lost art. Like letter writing. I still write letters to friends and family and it is a real joy to receive a letter through the post, much more so than a text message or email in my opinion.

I like the idea of giving flowers where the message is the flowers themselves rather than what is written on the card.

There are obviously quite a number of variations on flower meanings but here are mine from dictionary in the book...

Angelica - Inspiration
Bell Flower - Gratitude
Cowslip - Pensiveness
Daisy - Innocence
Euphorbia - Persistence
Fern (Maidenhair) - Secrecy
Geranium (Pencil Leaf) - Ingenuity
Hawthorn - Hope
Iris - Message
Jasmine (white) - Amiability
K is not listed in the book, and I could find only a few interpretations the most common being Kings Spear which stands for Regret and Kennedia which is Intellectual Beauty
Lilac - First emotions of love
Moss - Maternal Love
Nasturtium - Impetuous Love
Oregano - Joy
Primrose - Childhood
Queen Anne's Lace - Fantasy
Rosemary - Remembrance
Saxifraga - Affection
Thistle - Misanthropy
U is not listed either, but one plant I love is Umbrella Sedge which represents home.
Violet - Modest Worth
Witch Hazel - A spell
X is not listed either but one flower I like that starts with x is Xeranthemum Annuum (Immortelle) although I can't find a meaning for it.
Yarrow - Cure for a broken heart
Zinnia - I mourn your absence (I don't really like Zinnia's but this is the only Z listed in the book)

I received a lovely recycled paper sketchbook for my birthday and I plan to create my own dictionary of flower meanings accompanied by a small watercolour of each flower.

I might even make a few more to give as gifts.

I picked up an old flower press kit at a boot fair a few months ago and I want to press some flowers from the garden. I love pressing flowers.

I really think I am living in the wrong era.

I want to be wondering around the countryside all Pride and Prejudice like.


I want to collect feathers, leaves and lichen and make a nature diary like the one below from http://zuzuspetalsstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/hand-bound-scrap-book-for-calico-crafts.html


 I especially want to frame the ferns I collected and pressed from my trip to France. I want to hang them over my desk, something like this tutorial from http://www.designsponge.com/2009/08/made-with-love-pressed-botanical-specimens.html




 
Goodnight x







 








 







3 comments:

  1. I'm yet to come across that book, but im really anxious to read it now
    Thankyou for your lovely comment on my blog, im sorry about the leibster award thing
    I'm currently doing that with one of my books! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah so far only one person has participated i think, i'll have to check again
      Yeh, me too! The whole thing took up a good amount of my day actually
      Thankyou
      Sophie x

      Delete
  2. Oh, hello dear! You seem so lovely! Thank you for your comment, without it I wouldn't discover your blog. How are you? I would like very much to talk with you! I wish you a bright day, Mariana ♥

    ReplyDelete