Translate

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Spring has sprung....

Hello,

The sun was shining today and it finally felt like Spring is on it's way. There are bulbs poking up through the soil and it's starting to look more green than brown.

I have not planted anything that I brought with me yet as I wanted to give it a whole year so I could see what was actually hidden under the soil. We moved here in January when most of the garden was still fast asleep.

Over the year I have been taking lots of photos so I can see what is where, and it turns out there are a lot of bulbs. Alliums, Crocus, Lillies, Iris and tiny little hot pink Tulips that look like lips.

I love this time of year. When everything is waking from it's winter slumber, and the days start to get longer.

I am going to start sowing some seeds this weekend. I picked up a packet of Foxglove seeds for 54p! I want to grow a whole load for a shady corner at the back of the garden.

I am very much interested in growing nectar and pollen rich plants this year. I have some Cosmos, Flax, Poppy and Cornflower seeds to sow too.

I need to find places for all the plants I brought with me. Now I know what's growing in the garden it shouldn't be too difficult. Apart from lugging them up the steps into the garden and digging the holes of course. Some of them are quite substantial brutes!

Once the patio is cleared I was thinking about growing Herbs in pots. It gets baked by the sun all day, is protected by high walls and I would be able to enjoy the scent from the house. Herbs are brilliant for insects and pretty much look after themselves. I may even have a dabble at making some Peppermint or Chamomile tea.

I have included some photos of the change from Winter into Spring.

I am going to make a cup of tea and have a browse through a seed catalogue that was delivered this morning.

Happy Times x





Frost in January...

Primulas and Grape hyacinths in March...

Euphorbia and Alchemilla Mollis in April...

Geraniums and Aquilegias in May...

No comments:

Post a Comment