Translate

Friday 22 February 2013

The Little Things....

I have been in a reflective mood this week. Remembering things that happened long ago and imagining things I want to happen in the future.

Imagination is a lost art.

Observation is dying out too...

A few days ago I was stood on a train platform. There were people all around, all glued to their phones. I heard a whooshing noise up in the air and as I looked up I saw a huge flock of starlings swoosh past twirling and whirling around in their cloud of beauty. They were gone as quickly as they had arrived and I looked around me to see if anyone else had noticed. They were still all staring at their phones none the wiser.

It made me think of this http://weneverlookup.tumblr.com/

I have often watched the Starlings amazing display down on the seafront in Brighton and it really is mesmerising.



It's so easy to walk and look where you going without actually paying attention to what is around you.

The OH often gets frustrated with me when we walk through our local park into town as I am nearly always distracted looking up at the birds in the trees or at the daisies down in the grass. The walk across the park should take ten minutes, but with me tagging along behind it takes twenty.

Sometimes it's nice when you are en route somewhere to just observe your surroundings.

To spot something on a road you have walked down a hundred times but never noticed before...

                   Like an unusual front door...

 
 
 
A flower growing where it would seem impossible...
 



In fact in never ceases to amaze me how plants can grow in the oddest places. Buddleia being the prime example of a plant that causes havoc to chimneys and walls but is very good at what it does best - taking advantage and flourishing where other plants couldn't.
 
 
 
 
 
A funny piece of graffiti...

 
 
 
 
The film 'Exit through the gift shop' made me laugh and see graffiti in a new way. When we were in Giverny I saw this sign..




It made me burst out laughing and one lady asked me why. I tried to explain but it was lost on her and she went on to complain about how terrible graffiti is and wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the trip.

There is a derelict building called Ashton House opposite our local park which has been empty for years. The windows are all boarded up, but with portraits painted onto them.  It sure looks better in my opinion than broken glass or ugly metal grills placed across the windows and I have spent many hours admiring them and trying to choose a favourite portrait over the years...


 
 
 
I walked up to the top and back down the garden today about ten times and very nearly didn't spot this...
 

It was only because I had dropped my gloves that I spotted it. I have never seen this Iris before but it's lovely. I'm not sure what variety it is but it so delicate and pretty.

I then walked slowly around that area and spotted another one growing up through a clump of bronze Sedge...


 
There was another which had snapped and was laying on the ground so I brought it in and put in the flower press.


I also took a few other photos including this little patch of snowdrops...



Some Hellebores...





And this little fern brightening up a corner at the back of the garden. I love ferns and really want to sneak a few more in as The OH is not so fond of them.



So I am going to try and take the time to notice the little things from now on. Even the smallest things can be most beautiful...

Goodnight.













1 comment:

  1. Hello; this is a lovely reflection on observing all sorts of interesting things. I also find it incredible that people don't appreciate something as wonderful as a murmuration of starlings.

    ReplyDelete