Translate

Thursday 14 January 2016

Always...

A while back I remember reading something someone somewhere had noticed about the very first question Snape ever asks of Harry Potter...




"Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"




Asphodel symbolism: My regrets follow you to the grave.


Wormwood symbolism: Absence and/or bitter sorrow.

The theory put forward was that what Snape was actually saying...was...I bitterly regret Lily's death. 


In Greek mythology, Asphodel was deeply associated with death and graves.

It was part of the crown upon which Persephone, the wife of Hades - ruler of the underworld, wore upon her head.

Asphodel can also be traced back in history as a supposed cure for snakebites.

A certain wizard who shall not be named was also associated with snakes.

And wormwood, as it turns out, isn't just associated with absence. It has often also been associated with moon and lunar deities, particularly Artemis. 

Deer were the only animals held sacred to Artemis.

Lily Potter's Patronus was a deer.

As was Snape's.





I am very saddened to have learned about the passing of Alan Rickman. 

Someone I have had much pleasure from watching on the screen for many a year in many a character.

I absolutely love the symbolism and often overlooked language of flowers.

If I were to offer up a posy of flowers to Mr Rickman it would have to be Campanula.




Farewell x 



No comments:

Post a Comment